Advertisement

Understanding the Basics of Horse Training, Part I: The Do’s, Don’ts and Myth’s

Understanding the Basics of Horse Training, Part I: The Do’s, Don’ts and Myth’s In Part I of this video I discuss the most important aspect of horse training, developing a strong and correct foundation. Without this, you will continue to have challenges, issues and constant training or re-training.

I am mostly though going to be talking about debunking so much of the common propaganda, myths’ and dogma that is being marketing and promoted today in the professional horse world. Unlike what you hear, read and see, not everyone is an expert. Only a few are and they are the best, most experienced and masterful at what they do. An example would be our top and best athletes, musicians, artists, teachers, business owners etc. Only a handful make it to that level and not everyone that works hard, is talented or studies from the best will ever be that good. So, don’t be seduced by the talk, language and ads. Do your research, study from the great masters, history, ask questions, get references when you are seeking a professional service or product and most of train your eye so you are educated before you commit.

We are constantly being told “how to” from horse trainers, instructors, clinicians, vets, farriers, saddle fit reps, etc. Most are either trying to sell you something or they give you just a little information and guidance so they keep you coming back. An example would be a young vet, fresh out of school and interning. I don’t want them examining anything serious or complicated with my horses. Reason is they don’t have the years of experience behind them necessary for assessing, diagnosing and treating properly and correctly. Same goes for a horse trainer or instructor. I don’t want a 20 something teaching me or training my horse. What could they possibly know in their young career and experience when compared to an older professional who has years and hundreds or thousands of cases, students and hours under their belt.

While I do care how many years you’ve been studying, training and who you studied under, until you can ‘walk the walk” and show me how much you know, how well you can instruct, ride, train, handle and care for horses, I don’t want your service or product – no matter how good it sounds. This is a huge problem today. So many of our leading professionals know how to use language and manipulate words so they sound good. They also know how to sell you quick fixes, tips, techniques, solutions, gimmicks, equipment, products and forceful strategies. Knowing all-the-while that none of it will work long term. And, I’m here to tell you horses are not easy. They are complex and challenging not to mention so is learning and training.

In the end, it comes down to three areas for me when I want to trust someone’s advice, service, product:
- What’s your history, background, skill level and experience
- Let me see how good you are or how well your product works
- How easy, simple, and right is your service or product for me and my horse

Again, I’m here to tell you that there is nothing simple about horse training or learning how to ride correctly! So, please don’t let anyone tell you, or sell you, on how easy it is. However, when you have an issue in your learning, training, horse care, there is simple answer that will work. If your professional can’t provide you with a simple solution (doesn’t mean it’s easy) they don’t know what they are talking about – plain and simple!

Myth’s

Post a Comment

0 Comments